Workshops

Sign On – ASL Education, LLC offers a variety of professional development workshops for sign language interpreters.

Workshops will include strategies for relaxation, practice the process in a safe environment, and more! We look forward to seeing you grow in the interpreting profession.


The 5th Parameter:  Non-Manual Markers

Workshop Description:  Only 30% of ASL is found on the hands.  The other 70% is found on the face and body.  Non-Manual Markers (NMMs), the 5th parameter, are added to our signs to enrich and clarify message meaning.  This workshop is for those who desire to be effective communicators.

In a supportive, safe, and interactive environment, signers/interpreters will learn about the seven roles of facial expressions in ASL, recognize and practice expressing universal emotions, acquire several basic ASL mouth morphemes, and build confidence as NMM receptive and expressive skills develop through exploration, analysis, construction and interpreting different forms of NMMs in conjunction with several (or twelve) sentence types.

Feedback and encouragement is offered to participants as they integrate acquired skills when they self-record and self-evaluate using a provided rubric designed to help the user recognize where NMMs are missing or need improvement.

Workshop members leave with a rubric to facilitate self-analysis as they continue to develop this skill in the future.

Workshop Presenter:  Linda Bond

Linda Bond has been signing since the age of 5.  Her deaf friends taught her ASL and she began interpreting for them in the lunchroom.  Upon graduation from college, she interpreted at the University of Northern Colorado’s lab school and worked with David Anthony, the creator of the first English Sign System, Seeing Essential English (SEE).  She completed the Interpreter Training Program at Front Range Community College in Denver, Colorado and later earned Arizona’s top-level interpreter certification (IQAS Level V). She has interpreted in a variety of settings including educational, freelance, theatrical, storytelling, and church.

Linda has directed sign choirs, shadow interpreted plays, and taught workshops.  She was the first ASL program director at Arizona State University during which time the program grew from one teacher (Linda) to ten, and from 70 students to nearly 1000.  Linda completed her Master of Arts degree in Teaching American Sign Language and has since taught at Bradley University and Illinois Central College.

Date of workshop:  Saturday, October 21, 2017

Time:  9 am – 1 pm

Place:  Advocates for Access Conference Room – Basement Level, 4450 N Prospect Road, Peoria Heights, IL

Target audience:  certified interpreters, pre-certified interpreters, ITP students, d/Deaf/HH teachers, parents of d/Deaf/HH

CEUs:  0.4 CEUs*

*This workshop is approved for 0.4 Professional Studies CEUs with a Content Knowledge Level of Little/None, by Sign Language Resources, Inc., an approved RID CMP Sponsor for Continuing Education Activities.  (Course ID:  TBD, Activity Code:  TBD)

Cost:  $60 per participant; $30 per ITP/IPP student; $30 per Deaf Ed student; $30 per parent of Deaf/HH child

Cancellation policy:  Participants must cancel their registration 72 hours prior to the event to receive a full refund.

Accommodations:  Building and facilities are wheelchair accessible.  Request for other accommodations must be received in writing one week prior to the event.

Non-discrimination statement:  Sign On – ASL Education, LLC does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.


Sponsors and Associations

     

 


Register for workshops here:

Register for a Workshop Now

 

Event details can be found here:

View All Events